This is it. It’s done. Over. Finished. July has come to an end and with it Sample Killah is completed. This week was a bit slow for skin care and bath & body but I kicked butt in the hair care and makeup department. Here is the final kill count.
Skin Care: 4 samples killed
- Murad Essential-C Day Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ (1.7 fl oz, $60): I found this moisturizer to be a bit too heavy for use during the day. It smells of oranges though, which I like.
- Perricone MD Face Finishing Moisturizer (2 fl oz, $69): Don’t really care for the texture – feels very silicone-y.
- Clark’s Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream (1.7 fl oz, $115): This cream contains exfoliating acids and since I also use exfoliating toners I think this was a bit much for my skin. There was a slight burning sensation upon application that I didn’t really care for.
- Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator (4.23 oz, $34): This was another facial scrub that was just too rough for me. I used it as a body scrub instead.
Bath & Body: 4 samples killed
- Bath & Body Works be Enchanted Shower Gel and Body Lotion (10 fl oz, $12.50 each): I don’t know what I was thinking when I picked this scent. It’s sickly sweet and heavy. I’m so glad I’m rid of these samples.
- Mitchell and Peach Body Cream (6.08 fl oz, $61): Love this lotion. The scent is somewhere between herbal and floral which I really enjoyed. It reminded me of a good tea. It also has a great texture that’s light and absorbs easily.
- L’Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream (1 oz, $12): Great hand cream that’s a little thicker which makes it nourishing and perfect for the colder months.
Makeup: 8 samples killed
- Dr. Brandt cc glow Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (1 fl oz, $39): Even though I got this in the light-medium shade it was way too dark for my light skin tone.
- Boscia B.B. Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 27 PA++ (1.75 oz, $38): This sample had separated and I tried to mix it back up but to no avail. It was impossible to work with so I just threw out the rest.
- Miracle Skin Transformer Face SPF 20 (1.5 fl oz, $48): This did nothing for my skin even though it had a slight tint to it. After applying it my face looked exactly the same as before.
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (1.9 fl oz, $42): Pretty nice and lasts a long time but the shade was too dark for me.
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 (1.7 fl oz, $43): Not enough coverage to work for me.
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara (0.24 oz, $18): This mascara made my lashes look nice but it smudged like crazy. I needed to use a waterproofing top coat to make it work.
- Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara (0.23 fl oz, $24): The brush was impossible to work with. It’s extremely tapered going from super thin to super fat so you have the choice of either poking yourself in the eye or getting smudges all over your lid. Needless to say that I didn’t use it up but trashed it after a few tries.
- Estée Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer (1 fl oz, $34): Love everything about this primer. I would definitely buy the full size.
Hair Care: 11 samples killed
Shampoos & Conditioners
- Bumble and bumble Surf Foam Wash Shampoo (8.5 fl oz, $24) & Creme Rinse Conditioner (8.5 fl oz, $26): Meh.
- Matrix Biolage Color Care Shampoo & Color Bloom Mask (discontinued): Even more meh.
- Sebastian Drench Moisturizing Conditioner (8.4 fl oz, $15.95): Lovely balm texture.
- Nick Chavez Beverly Hills Color-Saver Sulfate-Free Shampoo (8 fl oz, $22): Just an average shampoo. Not worth the price.
- Phyto Subtil Elixir Intense Nutrition Shine Oil (2.5 fl oz, $38): This is a deep conditioning treatment that you’re supposed to use before shampooing your hair. I didn’t really see it make a difference for my hair but I didn’t leave it on very long.
- Pureology Perfect 4 Platinum Miracle Filler Treatment (4.9 fl oz, $26): Didn’t really see this making a difference for the condition of my hair.
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 Styling Treatment (4 fl oz $26): I really liked this styling treatment. It gave my hair some body and texture while also leaving it shiny and soft.
- Matrix Biolage Fiberstrong Intra-Cylane Fortifying Cream (6.8 fl oz, $22): Similar to the Living Proof treatment but doesn’t give as much body and doesn’t smell as nice.
- Abba Firm Hold Hair Spray (10 oz, $20): This is the worst smelling hair spray I have ever used. Blech.
Total Samples Killed in Week 4: 27
Total Samples Killed: 113
113. One hundred and thirteen samples killed in 31 days. Phew! I’m super happy with the result. My stash is cleaned out and organized and I discovered some great products in the process (more on that in an upcoming post). I really loved this project and I hope to do something like this again in the future.
- The July Decluttering Challenge
- The July Decluttering Challenge: Sample Killah Week 1 Update
- The July Decluttering Challenge: Sample Killah Week 2 Update
- The July Decluttering Challenge: Sample Killah Week 3 Update