The first week of July is over, the decluttering project is in full swing, and it’s time for a progress report on Kalyn Lord’s Sample Killah project.
Overall, this first week was a pretty good start to this challenge, using up samples left and right. I finished about half of my cleanser samples which is huge because I’ve had quite a few opened but never used them. I’ve also used up most of my body lotion samples and I’ve only one more body wash sample left to go. I also finished quite a few hair care samples.
In all fairness, I got a bit of a head start with this challenge because this week I focused mostly on using up old samples that have been opened and are half used. I really wanted to get rid of all the samples that have just been sitting there, collecting dust. I also had a lot of samples that I took on my recent vacation to Florida and that I wanted to finish off before they would disappear into the nirvana that is my beauty stash.
Let’s have a look at the damage.
Skin Care: 13 samples killed
- Chantecaille Flower Infused Cleansing Milk (3.4 oz, $64): I didn’t really care for the herbal scent of this cleanser and I don’t think it’s worth the hefty price tag.
- Exuviance Gentle Cleansing Creme (7.2 fl oz, $32): Really enjoyed the creamy texture of this cleansing milk, very gentle. And the scent is heavenly. It smells a bit like sugar cookies. I’d consider buying the full size.
- bareMinerals Deep Cleansing Foam (4.2 oz, $20): I’ve had this cleanser for ages but I never used it up because it’s so harsh. Definitely do not recommend.
- bareMinerals Purifying Facial Cleanser (6 fl oz, $20): I didn’t like this cleanser at first but it grew on me. It’s a lightly foaming gel cleanser that’s pretty gentle.
- Kate Somerville Quench Oil Free Hydrating Face Serum (1 fl oz, $75): I really liked this face serum. It’s like a thicker version of the Claudalie SOS Thirst Quenching Serum – very moisturizing and feels great on the skin. I would definitely consider getting the full size once the weather gets colder.
- Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster (1 fl oz, $48): This was a nice serum but I can’t really judge if it did anything.
- Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer (1.7 fl oz, $65): Nice moisturizer but I didn’t like it any better than the Goat Milk Cream.
- Origins GinZing Energy-boosting Moisturizer (1.7 fl oz, $26.50): Love the scent of this moisturizer. Nice and refreshing.
- Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye (0.5 fl oz, $65): I didn’t really care for the silicone texture of this eye cream.
- Clinique All About Eyes Serum (0.5 fl oz, $28): The metal rollerball applicator feels nice and refreshing on the skin but aside from that I don’t really think it did much.
- Benefit Cosmetics – It’s Potent! Eye Cream (0.5 oz, $34): This is a nice nighttime eye cream but I probably wouldn’t spend money on it.
- 2 x Coola Mineral Sunscreen Unscented Matte Tint (1.7 fl oz, $36): Feels like pure silicone so it’s almost impossible to apply enough to achieve the promised SPF. It works much better over makeup when reapplying during the day.
Bath & Body: 11 samples killed
- 2 x Caldrea Body Wash (11.5 fl oz, $18): Nice light scent, nothing to write home about.
- Skin&Co Sicilian Body Gel (7.7 fl oz, $17): This body wash smelled pretty masculine with a mix of oranges and spices – not my favorite combination.
- 2 x Essentiel Elements Shower Gel (8 fl oz, $19): Your basic hotel shower gel (which is where I got these samples).
- Skin, An Apothecary Soy Body Whip (16 oz, $27): Meh.
- Aqua Spa Relax Body Crème (9 oz, $10): Very tick texture. I used this on my feet and legs at night and it made my skin super soft.
- Sesderma Daeses Firming Body Milk (6.8 fl oz, $42): Nice lotion but definitely not worth the $42 price tag.
- Bask Heavenly Silk Daily Skin Nourishing Moisturizer (2 oz, $2.49): I really enjoyed this lotion. Great scent and texture.
- Caldrea Body Lotion (8 fl oz, $22): Not bad but nothing special. Wish the scent was more noticable but I liked the texture.
- Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream (5.1 fl oz, $20): This is supposed to be hydrating but I felt like my skin was parched after rinsing it off.
Makeup: 2 samples killed
- Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation (1 fl oz, $55): This foundation has pretty sheer coverage but I liked how natural and light it felt on my skin.
- Benefit Cosmetics The Big Easy Liquid To Powder SPF 35 Foundation (1.18 fl oz, $38): Sets super fast so it was incredibly hard to work with. I got the hang of it after a few days and I ended up really liking the coverage and powder finish.
Hair Care: 9 samples killed
Shampoo, Conditioner, and Hair Treatments
- Oribe Shampoo (8.5 fl oz, $39) and Conditioner (6.8 fl oz, $42) for Beautiful Color: Pretty decent but I wouldn’t spend this much money on it.
- Redken Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo (10.1 fl oz, $18) and Deep Attraction hair mask (8.5 fl oz, $20): Redken if one of my favorite hair care brands and this line is no exception. Works great and smells amazing.
- NuMe – Intense Renewal Hair Mask (6 fl oz, $29.99 value): I’ve read many raving reviews about this hair mask but I didn’t really think it did anything special.
- AVEDA Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment (5.1 fl oz, $34): This is a very tick hair mask with the consistency of a balm. It felt really nourishing.
- AVEDA Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair (3.4 fl oz, $28): A nice split-end treatment but I like the Redken Extreme Anti-Snap better and it’s much cheaper.
- Living Proof Full Thickening Cream (3.7 oz, $36): A staple in my hair care routine to give my hair some texture and body.
- Alterna – Bamboo Volume Plumping Strand Expand (4 fl oz, $22): Works almost as well as the Living Proof one but for a fraction of the cost.
Total Samples Killed in Week 1: 35
Not bad for the first week. My overall goal was to use up at least 50 samples for this challenge so I’m well on the way for that.
Next week I want to focus more on face masks and my shampoo and conditioner foilies. I’ve set aside quite a few face masks into the to-use pile but so far I haven’t touched any of them. It’s time for some major pampering. And while I’ve used up a good chunk of hair care products this past week, I just have so many shampoo and conditioner samples that need to go so I’ll be working on that as well.
Wish me luck!